A personal note from Charlie: Thank you, everyone, for the birthday wishes.
The best gifts you can give me, and you, are to the next generations. So please:
- Support education. Make sure that our children and grandchildren have the knowledge and skills they need to understand the world and make good choices.
- Support information. Keep diverse media strong: even the ones we don’t agree with. Don’t rely on our friends’ posts to broaden our outlook. Try my collection of sources at Feedly, and read articles from paywalled sources for a few cents each at Blendle.
- Support travel. Mark Twain said “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” We understand each other better as we travel to other communities, states, nations, and planets. Which is why it’s my passion.
- Support your passion. Give what we can, and communicate our enthusiasm to those around us. My passion, of course, is passenger rail service. Please consider supporting the organizations listed in my last post.
- Register, research, and vote! Register to vote. Research the positions of the candidates (and consider running yourself!) And vote for every position on the ballot. They’re all important.
In the terrible events of the past few days, I’ve been thankful for the great support from my friends. And I’m thankful for today’s extra minute of daylight. Together, we can make 2018 a brighter year.